I’m an engineer, startup founder and team leader with over a decade of experience in software development, understanding customers, and building successful products. I’m currently offering select consulting engagements, taking all the lessons I’ve learned building startups for the past 10+ years and sharing my expertise with startups.
Previously, I spent a couple of years building a healthcare startup (Rested) as its cofounder & CTO, based out of the fund/incubator platform Atomic Labs. We were focused on providing screening and treatment for sleep disorders like sleep apnea. I built the iOS app used by patients, the backend Rails API, and the admin dashboard used by doctors. Over time, I built and grew the engineering and product teams needed to serve our growing customer needs.
Prior to that, I had joined a couple of friends to build a startup (Involver) in the social marketing space. As its founding engineer, I built the core architecture of the Involver platform, and led development and growth for the core product suite and engineering team. With strong customer adoption and retention in the B2B and Enterprise markets, Involver was acquired by Oracle, where I went on to lead critical initiatives including the integration of social products into Oracle’s marketing suite, and the launch of a new Oracle Social mobile application.
I’ve taught a variety of classes both in the part-time and full-time format. I really enjoy seeing the passion and progress of students, and helping them realize their own ambitions. Some of my teaching stints include:
- Full-stack Web Development Immersive at iXperience (based in Cape Town, South Africa). I wrote a post about my incredible experience teaching there. I felt honored to teach such great students - as a token of their appreciation, they gifted me with a website filled with messages of appreciation for me (you can see the different classes at the top, and then click on names to see some of the messages). I was almost in tears when I first saw it, and much like my relationships with the students, it’s something I will cherish forever!
- Backend Web Development at General Assembly in NYC
- I’ve also taught shorter form workshops at General Assembly in SF and other locations, from topics around building startup ideas to the latest one I’m working on around hiring for diversity and inclusion.
I’ve done a fair bit of speaking, and here are a few of the talks that are available online:
A Brief Tour of Animation, Oracle HQ, Redwood City, CA
Listen to Yourself, Monta Vista Technology Symposium, Cupertino, CA
Test-Driven Development as a Process, General Assembly, New York, NY
Metaprogramming with Ruby, RubyBlind, New York, NY
Socially Enable Your Enterprise For Success, Oracle CloudWorld, Mumbai, India
I’ve had the pleasure of working with a lot of wonderful people. Here are some of the things people have said about working with me:
Salman is renown for the quality of his work and his ability to quickly identify the most elusive of issues. Even more unique is his cultural impact where he is liked by everyone he works with and sets a standard for behavior and energy that is hard to match. As a manager he brought this talent to bear, along with a genuine concern for his employees that was reflected by the growth they showed under his tutelage. Every one of his employees who I would speak to cited Salman as one of their favorite parts of their job. Salman is part of my dream team in any organization, and I cannot endorse him enough.
- Noah Horton, Founder/CEO @ Customer Science
I have an unbelievable amount of respect for Salman - I consider myself extraordinarily lucky to have worked with him for 3.5 years. He executes extraordinarily well as an individual contributor, became a great manager and is truly committed to building great products through a repeatable process. I’d work with him again in a heartbeat.
- Tyler Willis, Founder @ Unsupervised
Salman is one of the most conscientious and courteous people that I’ve worked with. He strives to ensure those around him are enlightened and empowered enough to get things done. Very technically minded, he has no problem rolling up his sleeves and working in a number of technologies. A great developer, educator, and leader, he is someone I would jump at the chance to work with again.
- Andrew Patterson, iOS Lead @ Emmetros
It was immediately clear that he is an incredibly gifted engineer and communicator. Given his experience, passion for technology, and gift for connecting with people, I know that he’d be a great addition to any team.
- Zack Chauvin, Software Engineer @ Facebook
Salman is a one-of-a-kind engineer, that can not only create amazing digital experiences, but has empathy for the user, the business goals, and the team around him. He has a keen sense that “less is more”, and always tries to get the most impact, in the most efficient and simple way. You can see the elegance of his work in everything he does. But the best reason to have Salman on your side, is that he’s just a wonderful person that knows how to foster a sense of harmony and excitement within a team. He’s always looking out for you, and wants to really succeed together as a team.
- David Ngo, Head of Product
In addition advising engineers on iOS development best practices and guiding them through technical challenges, Salman also contributed his own development skills to the team. He built our initial iOS app and web backend and continued to contribute to technical development even as CTO. Salman is a seasoned leader as well as an absolute pleasure to work with, and I hope that I have the chance to work with him again in the future.
- Gerald Lee, Product Marketing Manager @ Lyft
- I love animation and illustration. I recently got into sketching and drawing comics for fun, you can see some of my work on this Tumblr.
- I’m a pretty big audiophile, and DJ from time to time (I spin as DJ DARE).
- A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to write long-form satire / rants.
- I did improv at Upright Citizens Brigade (Yes! And…I did standup too).
Thanks for reading!