I’m an engineer, startup founder and team leader with over a decade of experience in software development, understanding customers, and building great products.
I spent the last two years building a new digital health startup (Rested) focused on helping people sleep better, as part of the fund/incubator platform Atomic Labs. We were striving to provide the quickest and easiest path to get treatment for sleep apnea delivered straight to your home.
Prior to that, I joined a couple of friends to build a startup in the social marketing space (Involver). As its founding engineer, I built the core architecture of the Involver platform, and led development and growth for the core product suite and engineering team. With strong customer adoption and retention in the B2B and Enterprise markets, Involver was acquired by Oracle, where I went on to lead critical initiatives including the integration of social products into Oracle’s marketing suite, and the launch of a new Oracle Social mobile application.
I’m now taking all the lessons I’ve learned building startups for the past 10+ years and sharing my expertise with startups through consulting engagements.
I’ve taught a variety of classes both in the part-time and full-time format. I really enjoy seeing the passion and progress of students, and helping them realize their own ambitions. Some of my teaching stints include:
- Full-stack Web Development Immersive at iXperience (based in Cape Town, South Africa). I wrote a post about my incredible experience teaching there. I felt honored to teach such great students - as a token of their appreciation, they gifted me with a website filled with messages of appreciation for me (you can see the different classes at the top, and then click on names to see some of the messages). I was almost in tears when I first saw it, and much like my relationships with the students, it’s something I will cherish forever!
- Backend Web Development at General Assembly in NYC
- I’ve also taught shorter form workshops at General Assembly in SF and other locations, from topics around building startup ideas to the latest one I’m working on around hiring for diversity and inclusion.
I’ve done a fair bit of speaking, and here are a few of the talks that are available online:
A Brief Tour of Animation, Oracle HQ, Redwood City, CA
Listen to Yourself, Monta Vista Technology Symposium, Cupertino, CA
Test-Driven Development as a Process, General Assembly, New York, NY
Metaprogramming with Ruby, RubyBlind, New York, NY
Socially Enable Your Enterprise For Success, Oracle CloudWorld, Mumbai, India
- I love animation and illustration. I recently got into sketching and drawing comics for fun, you can see some of my work on this Tumblr.
- I’m a pretty big audiophile, and DJ from time to time (I spin as DJ DARE).
- A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to write long-form satire / rants.
- I did improv at Upright Citizens Brigade (Yes! And…I did standup too).
Thanks for reading!